Today’s fantastic family finance article is:
College costs are out of control.
What if there was a recipe for going to college for free? What if it didn’t involve sports, the military, or valedictorians?
Today’s article reveals one such recipe.
Here’s what it entails:
- Expectations. Mom and dad made it clear early on that Blake’s goal was to emerge from college debt-free and to cover expenses with scholarships.
- Work ethic. For months, Blake dedicated hours during the week and on Saturdays to write essays and attend interviews. Sacrifices had to be made.
- Story. Blake wasn’t perfect (not the highest ACT scores of his peers), but he had a solid story. Blake wasn’t afraid to tell it.
- Planning. A master checklist tracked progress, and files were maintained for each school.
- Persistence. Hundreds of essays were written and submitted. As Blake says, “If you never ask, you’ll never know.”
The recipe isn’t easy to follow, but it isn’t impossible either.
Time to start gathering the ingredients.
Get tomorrow’s tip here.