“Dad, can you pay me to do the household chores?”
“No. Do you think I’m made of money?!”
You’re not made of money, but money can be made of you.
Instead of compensating your kids in real money, try Mom/Dad dollars instead.
Since you control the currency, you control the exchange rates. Maybe one Dad Dollar equals 15 extra minutes on the computer. Maybe 1 Mom Dollar equals an outing to the ice cream parlor for a single scoop.
Make a little redemption chart with rewards that make sense for your kids. Focus on experiences and time spent together.
As for the currency, here’s how you can print up a few of your own custom Mom/Dad dollars. Start with your own copy of my Mom/Dad Dollar template in Google Docs by clicking here. Then:
- Select the Insert > Image… menu item and pull in an image of your bright shining face.
- Click on the image of your face to select it.
- Click on Image options... in the toolbar.
- Move the transparency slider to the right so you can see the dollar bill beneath your face.
- Resize and position your face so it fits nicely over the hole in the dollar bill.
- Move the transparency slider back to the left so your face goes back to being opaque.
- Select the Arrange > Order > Send to back menu item to place your face behind the dollar bill image.
- Select the File > Print menu item to produce your money masterpiece.
Cut to size with scissors.
(See the step-by-step video here.)
Congratulations. You’re literally printing money.
Paying for chores just got a whole lot easier.
Like this tip? Get the next one in your inbox by subscribing here.
Want to turn these tips into action? Check out FamZoo.com.