What are your family’s core beliefs about money? Can you encapsulate them in just a few words?
That’s not an easy question to answer off the cuff.
Do you think your other family members would come up with similar words? Is everybody on the same page?
Maybe it’s time to identify and adopt a family money motto.
Google “motto” and you’ll find: “a short sentence or phrase chosen as encapsulating the beliefs or ideals guiding an individual, family, or institution.”
Our family finance site lets users enter mottos for their family members to see whenever they sign in. You can select from a small gallery of classic quotes or enter your own. Here are the 5 most popular mottos from our limited gallery:
- “Never spend your money before you have it.” ~Thomas Jefferson
- “A penny saved is a penny earned.” ~Benjamin Franklin
- “If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.” ~Unknown
- “Doing more and more with less and less is one form of being generous. In fact, the easiest way to become rich is by being generous.” ~Robert Kyosaki
- “A fool and his money are soon parted.” ~Thomas Tusser
You can find a lot more on our Wise Money Words Pinterest board.
Sometimes a pithy family phrase or quirky go-to saying from a grandparent fits the bill best. Here’s a small sampling culled anonymously from our site:
- “Pursue your passions. Live within your means.”
- “We work hard, have some fun, save for a later day and always help others.”
- “Think before you spend!”
- “Spend beneath your means so you’ll have the freedom to pursue your passions and help others.”
- “Thrift, prudence, adventure!”
- “Earn, save and enjoy life!”
- “Our family isn’t just crazy. We’re crazy for saving.”
- “There is enough sunshine for everyone”
- “Everything affects everything — be smart with every dollar and every dime.”
- “Dream big dreams, and work as hard as your dreams are big!”
- “I give and I get and I don’t get upset!”
- “Save your money ’cause someday your money will save you!”
Or, as one clever user entered: “What’s the motto with you?”
Well? What’s your family money motto?
Like this tip? Get the next one in your inbox by subscribing here.
Want to turn these tips into action? Check out FamZoo.com.