Is your child falling into the trap of always wanting more?
From ancient Roman philosophers to classic American rockers, introspective people ultimately realize that gratitude is the root of a rich life, not gold. Reviewing these classic quotes with your kids might help you accelerate the epiphany:
- “Gratitude is not only the greatest of the virtues, but the parent of all the others.” ~Cicero
- “It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.” ~Seneca
- “Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants.” ~Epictetus
- “A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one.” ~Chinese Proverb
- “It’s easy to halve the potato where there’s love.” ~Irish Proverb
- “It is not happy people who are thankful. It is thankful people who are happy.” ~Unknown Wise Person
- “Content makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor.” ~Benjamin Franklin
- “Who is rich? He that rejoices in his portion.” ~Benjamin Franklin
- “I have learned to seek my happiness by limiting my desires, rather than in attempting to satisfy them.” ~John Stuart Mill
- “I make myself rich by making my wants few.” ~Henry David Thoreau
- “It’s good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s good, too, to check up once in awhile and make sure that you haven’t lost the things that money can’t buy.” ~George Lorimer
- “Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty.” ~Doris Day
- “Count your blessings more often than you count your money.” ~Dolly Parton
- “If you live for having it all, what you have is never enough.” ~Vicki Robin
- “The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest.” ~Proverb
- “Forget your lust for the rich man’s gold. All that you need is in your soul. And you can do this if you try. All that I want for you my son, Is to be satisfied.” ~Lynyrd Skynyrd
Perhaps you could adopt one as a family money motto.
Too deep for your youngster to grasp?
Just remind your kids to look for joy in the simple things already around us. Charles Schulz captured a classic example that anyone of any age can appreciate when he said: “Happiness is a warm puppy.” Not cold cash.
Like this tip? Get the next one in your inbox by subscribing here.
Want to turn these tips into action? Check out FamZoo.com.